Za’atar Chicken w/ Spicy Pomegranate Glaze
1 whole chicken – skin on- spatchcocked/butterflied
1 tablespoon Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt or 3/4 tablespoon Morton Kosher Salt
3 tablespoon Za’atar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
4 1/2 Tablespoon Pomegranate Molasses
1 1/2 Tablespoons Chili Garlic Paste
1/2 tablespoon oil
2 teaspoon sugar
Pinch of Salt
- Prepare one whole chicken by removing the backbone with Poultry shears and laying it flat on a wired-baking sheet. Gently separate skin from meat without removing it.
- Mix all dry spices. Generously cover chicken in the spice mix. Make sure to get rub underneath the skin. This will take some gentle effort.
- Let rest uncovered on the bottom shelf of the fridge for 24-36 hours. This will dry brine the chicken and result in a juicier crispier final dish.
- After 24 hours you will notice the skin has tightened. Remove from the fridge and let the chicken come up to room temperature. Pre-heat oven to convection bake 450F.
- Put chicken in the oven for 45 minutes. Mix all the ingredients for the glaze.
- After 45 minutes remove the chicken and brush onto the top of the chicken. Reserve a little bit for final glazing. Put in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Periodically check to make sure skin does not burn.
- Remove after 15 minutes and add the final glaze over the chicken. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.