Chicken with Quick Chile Verde
4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
8 ounces tomatillos, coarsely chopped (about 3)
1 large jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Add chicken to pan; cook 6 minutes on each side or until done.
- While chicken cooks heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat.
- Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, onion, and the next 5 ingredients (through jalapeño); cook 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Place tomatillo mixture in a blender; add lime juice. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters).
- Pulse 10 times or until a chunky salsa form.
- Spoon tomatillo mixture over chicken; sprinkle with cilantro.