CHOOSING YOUR FARM TURKEY:
How big of a turkey do you need?
12-15 lb turkey for 10-12 people
15-18 lb turkey for 14-16 people
18-22 lb turkey for 20-22 people
PREPARING YOUR CRESCENT FOODS TURKEY FOR ROASTING:
- Remove neck and bag of giblets from inside of turkey. Reserve giblets for gravy or dressing, if desired.
- Pat dry.
- Turn bird upside down and fill neck cavity loosely with stuffing. Do not pack stuffing. Stuffing expands when cooked. For easy filling, place bird, drumstick end up in roasting pan, then stuff body cavity. Fasten with skewers or sew shut with cotton kitchen cord.
- Bring neck skin up over back. Fasten with skewers or sew shut if you wish. Tuck wings under bird. Tie legs together or tuck under skin flap. Lightly season and rub turkey with salt, favourite herbs and spices.
- Place turkey uncovered in roasting pan in preheated oven of 400°F (200°C) for 30 to 45 minutes. You should hear skin begin to crackle.
- Reduce heat to 325 – 350°F (160- 175°C) Cover bird with lid or tented aluminum foil. Turkey is done when a meat thermometer inserted into thigh reads 180° F (82°C) for a stuffed turkey, 165°F (74°C) in centre of stuffing, or 170°F (77°C) for an unstuffed turkey. Drumstick should move easily at the joint.
- Let turkey stand, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes before carving.