Spicy Popcorn Chicken
- 2 Pieces chicken thigh
- 3/4 cup butter milk
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons ginger garlic paste
- 2 teaspoon fresh cracked blackpepper
- 5-6 finely sliced garlic
- 2 serrano peppers, diced
- Bunch of curry leaves
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon garam masala
- 3 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/4 cup frying oil
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start off by marinating the chicken for 3 – 24 hours. Cut chicken into small pieces a little bit bigger than a quarter is ideal.
- Combine buttermilk, spices and salt in a bowl. Add chicken and mix together.
- Before starting to fry make sure to prep your station and prep ingredients for Tharka. With a tharka you are quickly infusing flavors into an oil.
- Chop garlic and serrano peppers and leave to the side.
- Take out chicken and let it come to room temperature. Heat wide pan or wok with any neutral oil to 350 degree F. Prep rack with wire to drain excess oil from chicken and keep crunchy.
- Combine 2 parts cornstarch with 1 part all purpose flour. Salt and pepper the mixture. Add chicken pieces and make sure they are fully coated.
- Fry chicken until it is golden brown. These pieces are small and will fry fast. 5-7 minutes. Remove from oil and top off with salt immediately.
- After the chicken is done. Prepare for the Tharka. Work in batches. This moves fast so make sure everything is ready. In a separate pan add a 1/4 cup of the frying oil and garlic. Let garlic cook for 30-60 seconds. Make sure it does not burn. Add mustard seeds and 1/4 of the serrano peppers. Let it cook. Add the remaining spices and curry leaves.
- After 15 seconds the first half of the fried chicken and stir together to make sure to mix everything thoroughly
- Repeat steps 8 & 9 for the remaining batch.
- Top with remaining peppers.