Spicy Chicken Thighs with Rhubarb-Cucumber Salsa
1 habanero pepper, with seeds, stemmed
2 garlic cloves
2 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts divided
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
6 large skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
1 1/2 cups 1/4″ cubes rhubarb
1 cup 1/4″ cubes unpeeled seeded English hothouse cucumber
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 500°F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Pulse chile, garlic, and white parts of scallions in a food processor until finely chopped. With machine running, drizzle in soy sauce, then olive oil; process until emulsion forms. Transfer sauce to a bowl.
- Place chicken thighs, skin side up, on a work surface and slash each crosswise at 3/4″ intervals down to the bone. Season lightly with salt.
- Place on prepared baking sheet and brush with sauce. Bake until skin is crisp and an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 165°F, 20-25 minutes.
- Broil on high for an additional 2-3 minutes for crisper skin, if desired. Let rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss rhubarb, next 5 ingredients, and green parts of scallions in a medium bowl to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper and let stand for at least 10 minutes to allow flavors to meld.
- Serve chicken with rhubarb salsa alongside.