Harissa Roasted Chicken with Root Vegetables
- 1 Crescent Foods Young Whole Chicken
- 1/3 cup harissa
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 red potatoes, roughly chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled roughly chopped
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 turnip, peeled and roughly chopped
- Kosher salt
- Whisk together harissa, 1/4 cup oil, lemon juice, salt, and garlic in a small mixing bowl. Meanwhile
- Spatchcock chicken: place the chicken breast side down on a work surface. Using kitchen shears, cut along both sides of the backbone to remove. Open the chicken flat and flip over. Push down on chicken to flatten.
- Put chicken in a baking dish and cover with harissa marinade. Cover and let marinate in refrigerator for at least 4-6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In a large cast iron skillet or a roasting tray, combine chopped vegetables with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and season generously with Kosher salt. Toss to coat.
- Lay spatchcock chicken on top of vegetables and roast for approximately 45 minutes, or until the internal temperature of chicken reaches 165°F.
- Check to see if root vegetables are cooked through. If not, remove chicken and return vegetables to oven for another 5-10 minutes until cooked through.