Tuscan Style Chicken Panzanella Salad
Panzanella Salad comes from the region of Tuscany, often made with fresh chopped salad and soaked stale bread. This version also incorporates chicken and olive oil croutons.
Chef Luis Reyes
For the Salad:
- 4 cups Crescent Foods Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, poached & pulled
- 3 Sliced Baby Cucumbers
- 2 Vine Ripen Tomatoes
- ½ Julianne Red Onions
- ½ cup Fresh Basil Leaves
- 3 cup Olive Oil Croutons
- ½ C Basil Vinaigrette
- Sea salt – to taste
- Black pepper – to taste
- Place the chicken and aromatics such as garlic, fresh herbs, peppercorn, salt, onions, carrots and celery in a pot, pour enough water to cover the chicken by an inch or so. Bring to a soft boil then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until internal temperature reaches 165*F. About 15 to 20 minutes!
- Remove from the poaching liquid and transfer to a plate and place in the refrigerator until cool enough where you can then pull the meat apart easily
- Cut crusty Italian bread into small to medium size cubes. Place into a mixing bowl and drizzle olive oil, sea salt, black pepper and dried herbs. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350*F for about 10 minutes tossing occasionally, until crisp on the outside but still chewy in the center. Set aside to cool.
- To make the vinaigrette, measure 3 parts of olive oil to 1 part of cider vinegar and place in a bowl. Season with salt, black pepper, pinch of sugar, dried basil, chopped parsley, juice of one lemon and fresh crushed garlic. Whisk together until all ingredients are combined. Place and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Cut the vegetables and in a mixing bowl combine vegetables, chicken, croutons, fresh basil and vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!