Shredded Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Zehra, The FitNest
- 1 pound Crescent Foods boneless skinless chicken breasts (uncooked/raw)
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes,
- 1 can (10 ounces) red enchilada sauce or taco sauce
- 3 tbsps minced garlic
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 can (4 ounces) fire-roasted diced green chiles
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cup frozen corn
- 1 container (32 ounces) chicken stock (4-5 cups)
- 2 tbsps ground cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- Seasoned salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Tortilla strips, Freshly squeezed lime juice, freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese, ripe avocados, fresh cilantro
- Remove the fat from the chicken breasts
- With the pan on medium, heat a tsp of oil and saute onions and garlic until they begin to soften.
- Add in the chicken breast, whole tomatoes, enchilada sauce, green chiles, drained & rinsed black beans, and corn. Mix well t break up the tomatoes
- Pour in the chicken stock , the cumin, chili powder, paprika, bay leaf, and salt & pepper to taste. Once soup comes to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover.
- Cook for 30-35 mins, until chicken is tender and can shred easily.
- Remove the chicken to a plate or bowl and shred with two forks. Return the chicken to the pot and add in 1-2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (to taste). Taste and adjust any seasonings (salt + pepper) and add fresh lime right here if desired. Remove the bay leaf.
- Serve bowls of the soup with lots of your favorite toppings: freshly grated cheese, a large spoonful of sour cream, additional cilantro, fresh lime, and lots of tortilla strips!
- Using the saute function, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and saute the minced garlic and diced onion for 3-4 minutes until the onion starts to soften.