Nashville Style BBQ Chicken With Hand Cut Fries and Vinegar Based Cole Slaw
1 Crescent Foods Whole Chicken – de bone and cut up
Nashville style hot sauce – for marinating and brushing
Hand cut fries
For the Nashville Hot Sauce:
½ C Halal Yogurt
3 TBSP Cayenne
2 TBSP light brown sugar
2 tsp Sea salt
2 tsp Ground black pepper
1 tsp Smoked Paprika
2 tsp Garlic powder
1 TBSP Honey
¼ C Water
3 TBSP Butter flavor powder
For the Cole Slaw:
2½ C Green Cabbage – Thinly Sliced
3/4 C Red Cabbage – Thinly Sliced
½ C Carrots
¼ C Small diced red onions
1 Lemon – squeezed
2 TBSP White vinegar
2 TBSP Olive oil
2 tsp Granulated sugar
¼ tsp White pepper
½ tsp Sea salt
¼ tsp Pepper flakes
¼ tsp Garlic powder
For the sauce:
- Using a medium size mixing bowl combine all ingredients and mix well until all ingredients are combine.
- Reserve half of the sauce for brushing (baste) the chicken while grilling and the other half to marinate the chicken pieces. Set aside.
- Whole Chicken can be cut into 8 pcs, 4 pcs or 2 halves.
- Using the same mixing bowl, place cut up chicken in bowl and marinade parts for at least 2 hours. Place chicken in the fridge until ready to cook.
- Prepare the grill by setting one side of the grill to high heat. If you are using charcoal or wood, make sure there is a cool side to the grill where that are are few to no coals. If using a gas grill maintain the flame low to medium low.
- Sear chicken by laying parts skin side down on the hottest side of the grill to sear the skin side well. Keep grill uncovered for 5 to 10 minutes depending how hot the grill is. This will prevent the chicken from burning. Once you have a good sear on one side, turn the chicken pieces over and move to the cooler side of the grill. Cover the grill and cook undisturbed for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Turn the chicken pieces over and baste them with the remaining sauce. Cover the grill again and allow to cook for another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Repeat, turning the chicken pieces over, basting them with the sauce and continue to cook until the internal temperature has reach 165*F. The goal is to maintain a low enough grill temp so the chicken cooks low and slow.
- Using a medium size mixing bowl combine and mix all ingredients well. Add the Cabbage, carrots and onions to the dressing and combine. Keep refrigerated until needed.