- Rinse the quinoa very well. Add it into a small pot. To that, add 2 cups of water and a sprinkle of salt. Bring this to a boil. Once boiling, bring it to a simmer and let it continue cooking for about 15 minutes making sure to stir every once in a while till cooked. (No water should be left)
- In the meantime, Saute the sliced onions mushrooms in 1-2 tbsp of olive oil with salt and pepper till caramelized which takes 10-12 minutes. Set the onions aside once cooked and then add the mushrooms with another tbsp of olive oil and cook for 5 minutes till tender with salt and pepper. Mix with the onion.
- Mix all the honey garlic sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.
Clean the chicken thighs from any extra fat. Season both sides with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and Italian seasoning.
- Add 1-2 tbsp of olive oil to a nonstick skillet pan. Place on medium to high heat. Once hot, add the chicken thighs to the pan. You should hear a sizzle. Cook 4-5 minutes on each side till you get a golden sear. Then add the sauce in between and on top of the chicken. Cover with a lid. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Then baste the chicken with the sauce, meaning spoon the sauce over the chicken constantly for another 2 minutes. *Make sure chicken is cooked through before serving.
How to plate the dish
- Layer the mushroom onion sauté on top of the cooked quinoa and garnish with diced green onions and a touch of salt.
- Plate the chicken either on top or next to the quinoa with parsley as garnish. Drizzle some of more of the sauce on top of the quinoa and chicken.