Chicken Souvlaki with Tzatziki Sauce & Greek Salad
For the Chicken
5 tablespoons fresh juice from about 3 lemons
4 tablespoons vinegar
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
4 medium cloves garlic, grated (about 4 teaspoons)
For the Tzatziki Sauce
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 medium clove garlic, grated (about 1 teaspoon)
1 cup greek yogurt (see note above)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
For the Salad
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 small tomatoes, cut into wedges
2 small red onions, sliced thin
1 medium cucumber, seeded and sliced into thin half moons
3/4 cups pitted kalamata olives
6 ounces crumbled feta
1/4 cup chopped parsley
- In medium bowl, whisk lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, oregano, salt, and black pepper. Place chicken cubes in a separate medium bowl. Mix in grated garlic and 7 tablespoons of dressing.
- Toss chicken to coat evenly, cover, and refrigerate to marinate for about 2 hours, tossing occasionally. Set remaining dressing aside for salad.
- While chicken marinates, make the tzatziki sauce: Place cubed cucumbers in strainer set over bowl. Toss with 1/2 teaspoon salt and let sit to drain, about 30 minutes.
- Gently pat cucumbers dry with paper towel, place in small bowl, and mix with garlic, yogurt, and dill. Season to taste with salt. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Skewer chicken pieces on 8 to 12 skewers. Discard used marinade. Heat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Place chicken skewers on grill (or cook in batches on grill pan) until well browned and internal temperature registers 155° on instant read thermometer, turning evenly to cook on all sides, about 5 minutes total. (Adjust temperature of grill if necessary).
- Remove chicken to a serving platter and let rest 3 minutes. Meanwhile, briefly grill pitas and keep warm.
- Just before serving, prepare the salad: Whisk olive oil into reserved chicken marinade. Add tomatoes, onions, cucumber, olives, feta, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve skewers with salad, pita, and tzatziki sauce. Remove chicken from skewers to stuff into pitas with sauce and salad.