1 package Crescent Foods boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Spanish paprika
1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground garlic powder
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
3 cloves garlic, mashed
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided in two
- Place Crescent Foods boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, in a bowl and coat with cumin, black pepper, paprika, salt, garlic powder, turmeric, mashed garlic, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Mix to coat evenly. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes (and up to 12 hours).
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil on medium heat in a skillet. Add chicken to the skillet, being careful to omit the mashed garlic, as they will burn.
- Cook chicken for 5-7 minutes on each side, until cooked through and browned evenly.
- Remove from skillet and allow to cool, before slicing into thin skips.
- Serve with garlic sauce, fresh pita bread, pickled turnips and vegetables.
Chicken Shawarma is traditionally made on a spit. This recipe takes the traditional flavors of chicken shawarma and simplifies it for the home cook! To help reach a deep flavor, I recommend using Crescent Foods boneless, skinless chicken thighs; but this can be also be made with Crescent chicken breasts or tenders.
*Chef’s tip: Cook the chicken thighs in large pieces to ensure a moist shawarma! Cut into smaller pieces after cooking to retain moisture.