Chicken Karahi (Spiced Tomato Chicken)
Chicken Karahi is a traditional dish originating from Pakistan. This dish gets its name from the type of pot that is used to make it, quite literally called a Karahi, which is similar to a Wok and traditionally made of cast iron. Karahis are widely used for cooking South Asian dishes. This Chicken Karahi is a simpler version only using 5 ingredients, but yields that same traditional flavor that’ll transport you right into the streets of Pakistan!
- Add oil, garlic ginger paste, and chicken to a pan. Mix so that the chicken is coated in the oil and garlic ginger paste, then cover pan and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, peel and chop the tomatoes
- Add the tomatoes to the chicken and mix then cover again for 10-15 minutes.
- Once the chicken comes to a simmer, add the red chili powder and turmeric powder. Mix well, then cover for another 10 minutes to finish cooking and burn off excess liquid.
- Serve immediately and enjoy! Optional garnishes: fresh sliced ginger, green chilies, dried fenugreek leave, and fresh cilantro