Chana and Meat Curry
-Zehra, The FitNest
- 1 cup split chickpeas (chana)
- 1.5 stew beef
- 6 tbsp ghee or vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions finely diced
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 or 6 chopped green chilies
- 1/2 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 piece of cinnamon
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt to taste
- chopped coriander to garnish
- Wash Chana Daal 3-4 times with water then enough water to cover the daal. Soak for at least 3 hours.
- Pre cook the meat in a little salt and boil for about 15-20 minutes until almost tender, then remove from the heat and set aside but don’t discard any liquid .
- Boil the daal with salt in 2 cups of water, cinnamon and ginger in a pressure cooker till the daal is soft but not broken. Approx 15 minutes.
- In a separate pan, heat 6 tbsp of ghee and fry the onions till golden brown then add the ginger and garlic and fry for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the salt, canned tomatoes, remaining chilies and stir for 2-3 minutes before adding the dry spices. Continue to fry the mixture for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the meat and on a low heat stir fry the meat, browning it and sealing in the flavor for about 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of boiling water (including the set aside juices) and cook on a low heat for about 10 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Add the daal and lemon juice to this mix, stir and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with naan or roti.
- Serve with rice or naan